Re: [IRCA] Sony S5W

Hello Patrick,

     Glad you are having fun with the Sony S5W.   Since the portable's stock
selectivity is primarily the result of ceramic  filters in the IF circuitry,
presumably, selectivity could be increased if more  ceramic filters could be
added in series with the existing ones.  Most  users would not have access to
such filters, but I happen to have a large number  of Sony ICF-S5 (Japanese
model) portables, which use exactly the same MW  circuitry.  In fact, one of them
is already used for spare parts, and  the ceramic filters are not used yet.

     Your DX environment is rather unique, with a  greater need to separate
splits from domestic channels (compared to the  average user).  A selectivity
mod on the S5W would also presumably help in  RF-saturated environments like
Portland and Seattle.  If you like, you  may have the spare ceramic filters, or
if you prefer, I will try to engineer  such a mod myself, to try it out first.
 Any other DXers who have interest  in the Sony ICF-S5W portable (or need
parts) should also feel free to contact  me.

                                   73,  Gary