Re: [IRCA] moisture proofing boxes

I would have to Google up a source for dessicant, but I may simply bypass
that for my own use.  What I'll look for is something suitable for a potting
compound.  Automotive silicone seal is more fluid than the hardware store
kind, and will fill the corners better.  If I can fill the box above all the
parts, then put the cover on, it will prevent any water from getting to the
components.  Won't work with a potentiometer inside, however.

Normally potting compound is a type of epoxy.  No clue where to get that in
the quantity needed to fill a box.  Maybe a boat supply house?  The gel coat
on fiberglass is epoxy, but no clue if it would work for potting
electronics.  Thoughts?

I have a plastic box on the sloper running up to the top of the tower in the
yard.  It's a few years old, and the transformer core is of questionable
quality.  I have some metal boxes and better cores, so I'll rebuild it.  I
need to pick up a tie rod end at the auto store today for another bit of
work and will buy a few tubes of auto silicone sealant.  That stuff is often
used for windshields.

Also ordered 10 Hammond 1590G boxes and a bunch of BNC chassis jacks.  I use
those for a variety of things and can make a few more BNC to ethernet
adapers.  I want to continue the CAT5 project.  Gotta get some chicken wire
as well.

I do have an RFSpace SDR-14 on order, due in early September.  That will
give me spectrum analyzer ability to have a visual on what changes are made
by all this.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI