Re: [IRCA] KGA-KPIG etc

Mike,

The FCC has allowed stations to go back to their old calls back in the
early 80s. I remember that well when KPAT got their old KRE calls back
and I QSL'd them at time time. That was exciting, but I have not seen a
case of that for a long time. KHJ got theirs back, but Salem
Broadcasting in Seattle tried to get "KMO" and "KOL" back, but no dice.
The FCC turned them down, so they do the next best thing "KMO" and "KOL"
slogans. I don't know why the FCC will not allow it, as it would be cool
to have all of those historic calls returned. But some stations would
not want them, as it is connected too much with the past. They want a
"new" look. In the case of 620 Portland, they dropped their 3 calls
(KGW), but they did get another old historic call, KPOJ (1330).

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager