Re: [IRCA] KGA degrade

--- "Powell E. Way III W4OPW" <w4opw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- Mike McKenna <way2twohot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > OK -- So lets get back on topic.   ---   Who thinks
> > it's good for DXing -- to see the "Downgrading" of
> > the clear channels -- into "regional" channels --
> > without the "protection"  -- just so another
> > daytimer can get nightime service --- most likely in
> > some large Metro Area --- like San Francisco,  New
> > York City  - or Seattle ???       Anyone dis-like
> > the idea of KGA downgrading ????
>
> I do. It makes a mess of the frequency.  It degrades
> the frequency as to make DX'ing not likely.
>
> 1070 for example down here is a jumble. Even though
> WIBC has a super ton of RF my way it's almost never
> listenable to the fact that 3 other stations are
> there. And the 1070 in Greenville, SC  even with
> illegal high power at night had WIBC in the background
> enough to cause listeners to turn off.

One could probably argue both ends of this and provide good examples of
real-world situations.

But I also question how much it really matters now given the excessive
proliferation of new shoehorned stations, mini-night power, PSSA's
etc., etc.

I heard KGA a couple of times from upstate NY in the mid-1960's and
never again, so that one wouldn't affect me a bit. For those who have
KGA as a pest, it might open up more DX.

Old adage: one person's pest is another's DX.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id