[IRCA] Equivalent powers

Charles: The procedure you've described represents a lot of extra work to
obtain information that is inaccurate compared with what you could get from
a FREE program! (It's a DOS program that runs under all versions of Windows
including XP--but, I am told--NOT under Vista. I don't have Vista and don't
want it, so I hope it will be a good long time, if ever, before I find out
for myself whether the program can be made to work under Vista.) The program
is Bob Capenter's AMSTNS. Google AMSTNS and find out where you can download
it for free. The download is quite small--only about 2 Mbytes. Every couple
of weeks, Bob's friend Larry Vehorn posts updates to the FCC AM database in
a format compatible with AMSTNS, so the information is as current as
anything you are likely to find.

Even though AMSTNS is not a Windows program, it provides a very nice
graphical display of patterns and allows you to read out the
inverse-distance field at any azimuth in 1-degree increments. Quite often,
AMSTNS allows you to obtain information for stations for which the pattern
data is not available from the FCC's AM Query page. Use AMSTNS for a while
and become familiar with it and some of its subtleties and, in my opinion,
you are unlikely to need or want any other source of pattern data for AM
stations in North America.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367