[IRCA] Metallic return EWE? Whoops, it's a LOOP!

At 03:16 AM 7/19/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>At 15:40 18/07/2007, you wrote:
> >To obviate the necessity of good grounds for a EWE, I was thinking
> >along the lines of a metallic return: simply a buried wire, with
> >either the terminated end or the feedpoint left ungrounded.
> >Do you think this would make the termination more predictable?
>Sounds like you're describing Bruce Conti's superloop,
>Charles.  http://members.aol.com/amhits/termloop.htm
>His contact information is  on his website,
>http://members.aol.com/baconti/bamlog.htm, if you don't know him already.
> >Steve Ratzlaff suggests I raise the height of the legs. I
> >can get 1.65-metre steel mast sections for fairly cheap.

>....others have more experience with EWE's than I do, but I believe
>that signals get stronger as the vertical sections are enlarged, but
>nulls may not be as good on some frequencies.  Koontz'  original
>article found that signal strength on 160m increased with horizontal
>length, but that front to back ratio deteriorated after a ratio of
>horizontal to vertical of 4 to 1, at least in modeling.  If you don't
>think you're getting enough signal, beef up those verticals for sure...
>
>Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the thoughts AND for directing me to Bruce Conti's website.
I know Bruce only through the proceedings on this Reflector, but I
copied his diagram to my antenna subdirectory earlier this year.

It never occurred to me that if I "close the circuit" via a base
conductor, I have converted a EWE to a loop, but that what it
amounts to.

I would prefer to simply call it a EWE and let it go at that. If I
refer to it as a "super loop," then that distorts a mental image
of what is happening here.

I suppose there would be little effective difference between a
conductor laid upon the ground and one that is buried, but come
time to mow the yard (about every 1½ - 2 weeks down here in the
"jungles" (excuse me) rainforests of North Carolina, and yes...
one might very well notice a difference!

How's your "Crudley Bathbrush" model 1527 mod. B working?

73 from 77° 25'35.4" W, 35° 22' 36.7" N
where the deer (but no antelope) play.

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP