[IRCA] KMA's New Middle Tower is Up

You may recall that a few weeks ago I posted info relayed to me by  Ernie
Wesolowski of Omaha, concerning KMA 960 Shenandoah IA. Ernie revealed that  on
5/31 the station had taken down the deteriorating 48-year-old middle tower in
its three-tower array, which was in bad need of replacement. The station
planned  on using one of the two remaining towers at reduced nighttime power while
the  new tower was being built.

This afternoon I got a phone call from Ernie. Last Thursday he made a visit
to the station. The new tower is now up, but there is a great deal of
engineering to complete before the station returns to its nighttime directional
pattern. The station expects to be back to U2 5000 5000 by about August 1. In  the
meantime, it will be on its current STA, which sets its nighttime
non-directional power at 1250 watts.

BTW, a short video clip of the old tower coming down is still on the KMA
website, _http://kma960.com_ (http://kma960.com) .
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison  WI     Column Editor  NRC DX News   DDXD-West