Re: [IRCA] St. Helens Day Trip

Patrick,

     Thanks for your comments.  KVRI-1600 (a  totally dominant station as far
as Olympia), had all but disappeared from  the frequency at the I-5 rest stop
north of Castle Rock, leaving a pretty strong  KOHI and a weaker KOPT. But
since the ICF-S5W has a reputation as a fairly  sensitive portable, it doesn't
necessarily mean that a regular car radio could  receive all 3 stations at
Castle Rock (our own Toyota car radio couldn't  receive anything on 1600 there).

     KVRI is extremely strong daytime in Puyallup, with  its salt-water
propagation path and 50-kw signal. But when driving south on  I-5 away from the
salt water near Olympia, its signal takes a dive fairly  quickly, becoming equal
in strength to KOPT and KOHI in Centralia.  The  hilly terrain around Castle
Rock quickly reduces KVRI's strength to almost  nothing, and it was inaudible
for the rest of the trip.

                     73,   Gary