Re: [IRCA] DX logging: CMAQ-790 Pinar del Río, PdR & [non] Rebelde-670

Re: [IRCA] DX logging: CMAQ-790 Pinar del Río, PdR & [non] Rebelde-670

Charles,

> * This may be a manifestation of what I call the
> "Bermuda Effect."
> Noted in Bermuda 1978 - 1981, this consisted of such
> far in-land
> US stations as WLW-700 and WJR-760 going into the
> usual dawn
> induced fade-out of skywave; HOWEVER, to begin
> FADING BACK IN
> and at fair level at high noon, Bermuda time! I
> conclude this is due to
> some sort of sea/land refraction that bends
> low-angle spacewave
> (not skywave) back toward the ocean to be propagated
> long distance.
> (CAT*NC)

I don't think I ever would have come up with the same
wording on this as you have, but I agree with what you
are saying, for several reasons.

By observation only, it appears to me that WJR in
particular is feeding more of their nighttime
transmissions into skywave than groundwave. For years,
I can drive two hours out of town in any direction and
their signal becomes quite unusable. Yet driving back
from my father-in-law's funeral in Denver, we had a
nice WJR signal to hear halfway across Nebraska.

So I'm thinking if the conditions are right, their
first skip lands in the Atlantic Ocean, then the salt
water propagation takes over, I can see it being done.

Funny back in the 1960's, WJR used to read letters
received from out of state listeners (Texas was very
common), but never recall them reading letters from
Bermuda.

Thank you for the info.

P.S. If this isn't what you meant, I apologize. This
is the first time I've heard this idea.

P.P.S. 15 meter band was open yesterday afternoon.
Venezuela and 4 southern states...

73 from Joe Miller, Toy, MI