Re: [IRCA] Copper/Radials

> Yes and no.  Most often NO.  The FCC would require a power reduction in
most cases.   Have
> you ever seen a Class 4 AM -- with a power like 833 watts Day and Night.
( I think the
> 1400 Silverdale, WA has less than 1 KW ).   That is because -- AM
stations -- are like the
> Educational FM stations.  They are applied for with a "protected" and
"interfering"
> contours -- based on both the tower and ground system.   Change the ground
or tower -- the
> power changes.

That almost always occurs when there is a significant change in the tower
itself.  Usually moving from a 1/4 wave tower to one significantly taller
and more efficient.  For example, many years ago then-WHIM-1110 went from a
1/4 wave tower to a 550 foot FM tower.  They had to drop power to around 650
watts to keep the same groundwave coverage contour.

> So adding any type of cable, wire or metal can "augment" the basic
authorized contours.
> As a Ham operator -- you can "tinker" with equipment.  In Commercial
use -- you can NOT
> just add a wire here and a clamp there.  In the old days -- but that was
before there
> were thousands of stations.

I disagree.  You can add all the copper you want as long as you do not
materially alter the configuration stated in the license.  If I wanted to
add a 75' square screen to a station, I would not have to file a thing - as
long as the base resistance was not changed.  As a permanent change, going
from a 120 radial buried system to a 6 wire elevated counterpoise system
probably would require the appropriate form to be filed.  That would change
the license description.  Years ago we added a copper strip between two
towers in a directional system.  Made no changes to any parameter, and we
filed nothing.  Some of this is just pragmatic.  If it's buried and doesn't
change the parameters, then why open a paperwork can of worms?

Craig Healy
Providence, RI