Re: [IRCA] Tentative now a logging: WPQE514-1620

At 09:23 AM 5/27/2007 -0400, you wrote:

>Charlie, one of us is confused.  this is the station to which I was
>referring in the previous message.
>
>Bill
>
>Charles A Taylor wrote:
> > 1620    WPQE514 VA      Chester. 1830 5/24. This was my unIDed "WCTU514."
> >                          Keep hearing this until LSS, with looped "Welcome
> >                          to historic Petersburg....." Description of his-
> >                         toric Civil War sites and exit number(s) off I-85.
> >                         Relistened and called up FCC TIS Query.
> >                          Petersburg is bounded on n.w. by Chesterfield
> >                          County. Chester is on I-85 in Chesterfield Co.
> >                          Competes with WPSF938; Hampstead, NC every late
> >                          afternoon at LSS. (CAT-NC)

Bill,

OK, now I understand your observation.

On the basis of "Welcome to historic Petersburg," the transmitter in question
would have to be in or near Petersburg (as I see it). Chester is in Chester-
field County, and the others are farther or much farther afield. Sussex, New
Kent, and especially Goochland Counties are situated such that I wouldn't
expect a TIS to run that sort of advertisement or promotion. As I wrote,
Chester is adjacent to Petersburg.

WPQE514 is in every late afternoon, and now is a pest. I'm certainly hearing
SOMETHING, and want to long SOMETHING, so I'll pick on Chester's transmitter.

The timeframe for hearing these TISs is rather narrow, and this month extends
from about 1745 - 1930. Before then, skywave conditions haven't formed; after-
wards, the regular broadcasters overpower them.

The short whips used by the TISs especially favor short-skip skywave. The
groundwave "reach" is minimal due to the low ground conductivity in these
parts.

Thank you for your criticism, and please "pick apart" my logic for WPQE514!

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina