[IRCA] Charlie's Stations Down South

    This AM (21 May), I headed to Greenville to see the Docs at East
Carolina Univ. (ECU). While trying to occupy my time while driving, I
figured that I'd check on the frequencies which Charlie has been
reporting. Not much to report, but I did hear a couple of things:

640-660:   WFNC dominant on 640; 650 and 660 were clear. However, at
0900-0905, a definite carrier popped up on 650 (on for maybe 4 or 5
minutes). At the time, I was in Richlands (on 24 West). Fair to poor lvl
and 2 or 3 times what sounded like a noise I would equate to tapping a
live microphone to see if it was on. Nothing else of note. At ECU, 1023,
a possible carrier at a poor level. Enough that I could tell it was a
carrier, but nothing more. 660 remained clear and 640 was poor/fair.

1610:   Coming into Greenville, 1015, I did note what I would call a
fluttering fade and possible audio, but again, I cannot be certain. The
fluttering fade doesn't make sense, unless I mistook a SAH for the
fluttering. Possible, though no other station noted. On leaving ECU, no
change in the signal.

Returning home, I took a different route (70 East)and drove through New
Bern - nary a squeak nor hiss on either 530 or 1610. So, if the Craven
County TIS has been recently active, it wasn't active at this time --
this was +/- 1430.

590:   My route home (from 70E) was 17S (New
Bern/Pollocksville/Maysville/Jacksonville - just to set the stage). By
chance, I tuned past 590 as I was in Pollocksville and was treated to a
horrendous chorus of RTTY hetting against 590. 580 and 600 were clear,
but the RTTY continued until a mile or two north of Maysville. To the
best of my knowledge, there is only a very small auxiliary landing field
anywhere near there and that's 10-15 miles to the west. Not certain what
that was all about.

1640:   New River Air Station (Jacksonville) has taken over this
frequency with information on entering base and the hours for which
gates. Heard at 0820 and again at 1620. This is new. Might give someone
a shot at logging the base.

    On arriving home, I checked the frequencies (above) and except for
1640 at New River, nothing out of the ordinary noted. We now conclude
this broadcast day.

Mike in Jacksonville

Toyota Highlander with embedded antenna (where is the antenna located
and is it directional?)
At home: ICOM R-70 and R. West 22" Ferrite Loop