[IRCA] DFing CMDC-570 from Grifton, NC

GRIFTON, NC 5/12/07. After taking the time to determine
the source of the 1-Hz daytime carrier beat against WDNZ
-620 (Raleigh) [and not WDOX as cited in earlier
reports], and finding, to my GREAT surprise it is CMDC,
Radio Reloj; Villa Clara, Cuba (30 kW), I've spent the
past several days determining that it is indeed sea &
groundwave.

I conjectured that it was arriving via seawave and
being defracted westward upon striking NC's Outer Banks.

Today, I did a little DFing to determine where the CMDC
signal apparently was coming from. This I did by care-
fully turning my SM-2 loop until I achieved complete
extinction of the 1-Hz carrier beat against WDNZ.

To put it briefly, I found the extinction point was
almost identical to the azimuth of the null for WMFD-
630 Wilmington, North Carolina.

So that means that the RR-570 signal is traversing
land from its landfall point in s.e. North Carolina,
so that means there's no exotic sea/land defraction
going on here. It's coming straight through. Express.

I can't hear any other CMs here that I can recognize
during the daytime, but CMDC is unique with its format.

Another NC long distance daytime reception observation
is grinding in my bowels. Nothing to surprise anyone.

Later.

Charles

-33-

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP