Re: [IRCA] IBAC vs IBOC

Chuck said: IBAC is an acronym used in the engineering world and is
found even in the IEEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers) publications.
/////
Actually you left out a very important component of the name Chuck. The
IEEE is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. I am
aware of the IEEE using the term IBAC relative to HD radio back in 2001.
But I haven't noted any use since then. I performed a search for IBAC on
the IEEE internal search engine which only produced documents referring
to Image Based Access Components - nothing to do with HD broadcasting.
At any rate, we're talking apples and oranges. I don't believe that the
IEEE would ever use the term IBAC in the derogatory context that it is
being used here.

I have originals of the USA Digital Radio (USADR) brochures and data
sheets that were distributed in the mid 1990s when HD broadcasting was
first surfacing to the eyes and ears of the public. All references to
the technology, including several references from the IEEE, refer to
IBOC, DAB, or HD. I don't find any reference to IBAC in the literature.

I also have one of the original 1995 USADR demo CDs (produced by CBS
Radio) that provided an audible comparison of the HD and analog over the
air signals from several AM and FM stations including WBBM-FM, KUNV-FM,
KUSA-AM, and the experimental AM transmitter on 1660 kHz located in
Cincinnati. It's very interesting to read and hear this early
documentation on the subject. I had forgotten how long ago that
Cincinnati experimental station had been on. That was well before the
expanded band opened up. Since it is on this 1995 CD it must have been
prior to that. I believe I heard that the same transmitter was later
moved to Las Vegas for the KUSA-AM demo transmissions (also on 1660) at
the NAB in 1995. So the Cincinnati experiments (sounds like a good name
for a conspiracy) were probably around 1993 or 1994. I never did manage
to hear the Cincinnati station. I believe that most of their
transmissions were during normal business hours during weekdays. I did
received two QSLs for the KUSA demo transmissions. One was an 8 1/2 x 11
certificate from the engineer/operator in Las Vegas and the other was a
traditional QSL card produced by USADR headquarters in Chicago. The
latter was also my source for the brochures and CD that I mentioned.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/