Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

> Since the two Chicago stations are very close, and have tall and
efficient "gatherers", there can be a dangerous amount of voltage
induced in one tower from the other.  I would bet they have traps in
their tuning units to keep the other signal out of their transmitter.
It could cause serious intermodulation products.  Such as (720 * 2) +/-
780 or (780 * 2) +/- 720.  I'd bet something shows up on 660 and 840, to
name two likely spots.

> Craig Healy

Indeed and in the 1970's on Monday mornings it was not too hard to hear
one of those Chicago stations, I think it was WBBM, on the then-vacant
840 (WHAS SP) while listening in New York. I am sure Russ recalls this
as well. This was a mix product heard via skywave. No, I did not QSL it.

This was probably before they had the proper traps installed.

The pernicious thing about RF burns is that it will destroy the skin
cells in the burn area in such a way that they grow back slowly and
form some sort of keloid that makes the burn area look white.
I have a nice souvenir of my early ham days on the tip of my index
finger that has survived for decades, caused by 500 watts at 14 MHz.

Paul, your rite of initiation will be when you get your own burn scar.

Until then you are just a pretender. (hi)

- Bob