Re: [IRCA] OT: cell antenna sites

Dennis & Charlie

I've worked in the wireless industry for about ten years, and I can
assure you it's a common practice.  I've seen many and helped build a
couple.

It's generally done to get around local zoning requirements.  Getting
permits for a cell tower can be very difficult in some places, due to
local ordinances, public resistance, etc.  As a result, wireless
operators often turn to existing structures.  So not only do you see
cellular antennas on buildings and water towers, but also on electrical
transmission towers.  If the towers are owned by a federal agency such
as the Bonneville Power Administration, so much the better - since local
authorities don't have jurisdiction over federal facilities.

The downside is that high voltage electricians are the only people
allowed to climb the towers, as Charlie points out.  This can lead to
some quality control issues with the antenna and coax installations,
since HV electricians usually don't know or understand much about r.f.,
especially at the frequencies used by cellular systems (800 or 1900
MHz).  But once the electricians get it right, the antenna systems don't
require a lot of attention.

I think someone needs to be half crazy to work on those high voltage
towers.  One time I took part in a drive test, to check the feasibility
of using a particular electrical tower for a cell site.  The two
electricians climbed up the side of a 200' tower, with our test
transmitter, coax, power cord, antenna, etc strapped to their backs,
worked their way through the electrical lines and then set up the
transmitter at the top of the tower so we could run our tests.  No
safety harnesses, no net,  nothing but air between them and the earth.
My whole body tensed up just watching them.

Bruce