Re: [IRCA] KRKO upgrade

> When we built the new KCKK transmitter site we managed to satisfy the
> environmentalists by using Phillystran black fiberglass guy wires
> equipped with reflectorized "bird flappers" throughout their length.
> These devices twirl in the slightest breeze making them quite visible in
> the horizontal plane. The towers are not lighted or painted. We have
> observed flocks of birds and geese flying between the towers and have
> recorded no bird strikes so far. I also snapped photos of a large hawk
> that likes to park on the towers near the top guy wire attachment point
> to watch for prey on the ground. This hawk is always seen with a partner
> who will not land on the towers but does like to circle around them.

In all the time I have been in radio, I have seen under a handful of dead
birds near a tower.  I simply do not see where people think they are such a
hazard.  At WDDZ we have had a pair of hawks for years.  They are very happy
to perch about a hundred feet up on one of the towers and watch.

I think this pair of hawks is kind of sadistic.  I saw them catch a small
squirrel or chipmunk a couple years ago.  They would fly it up and let it
go, and the other would swoop in and catch it about 30' off the ground.  The
screeching of this poor critter was unpleasant.  They seemed to be playing
with it.

As to useage, the WDDZ towers are in an active flood plain.  They are in a
field of about three or so feet of water at the moment.  Normally dry
ground. Years ago someone from the RI Department of Environmental Management
came in for an inspection.  His parting comment was something like:  "Of all
the potential uses for a flood plain, this is the only one that I have seen
that works".  He was happy with the small footprint of the tower and guy
anchors, and the fact that wildlife seemed comfortable with it.  And, it
provided no pollution at all.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI