[IRCA] Esther Blodgett of WMCW-1600

At 05:29 PM 4/5/2007 -0500, you wrote:
> >From the Charles Lee Usher family genealogy website:
>
>Esther Elizabeth Blodgett, born 6 August 1902 in Illinois
>- Founder of WMCW Harvard Radio, 1955-1979
>- died 28 Sep 1987, buried in Harvard, McHenry, Illinois, Mt Auburn Cemetery
>
>QRM, the Krumudgeon

John,

Right on! Yes, I remember her as Esther Blodgett.

However, I somehow placed her operation down-state, closer to Springfield.

Understood that she didn't suffer the FCC well. Didn't fill out the
appropriate FCC form for relicensing. But the FCC wasn't about to go
against her, as her station was all that the FCC wanted a station to be.

But that she operated WMCW-1600 is a surprise.

First year in the Navy, I was in Electronics Technician school in
Great Lakes, Illinois. Clearly remember hearing WMCW-1600 in R-390A
class after clearing my set of its instructor-induced fault. The
ET school had a longwire on the roof of the 6-story building, and
encouraged the students to dial around on their R-390As (connected to
the longwire via a multicoupler).

>73 de AN4CAT

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina