[IRCA] "Long Ago on One Five One Oh:" Then and now

At 01:59 AM 4/4/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>"There were many stations like that in those days.
>73,
>Patrick Martin"

Patrick n' Bill,

In "digitizing" my kerzillion DX cassettes from 1978 - 2007, I listened to my
Grifton Daytime Bandscan (540-1600).

The difference between the "sound" of the MW BCB band then and now is stark. So
many of the stations then were producing their own programs. And many more
of them
did the classic type of "jingle" ID at TOH.

Just like in the Cascades area, there are a bunch of daytimers (and some
fulltimers)
out here in NC that have gone to the radio boneyard. They're on my 1986 daytime
bandscan cassettes, but silent now, forever.

I'm thinking about an article on exactly that subject.

Quantifying the difference in sound: Well you all know, but here goes:

1. The lack of Spanish-language programming then.
2. Most station did their own programming.
3. "Jingles" on the hour.
4. More local, paid sponsors.
5. Vastly fewer all-talk stations.

Economics drives Broadcasting, and it does seem that AM Broadcasting is still
viable out here. It may be viable for another decade or so, even in the
face of the Internet and satellite delivery.

I mean to be around to find out.

73,

Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP