Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC

From: kevin redding <big_h00pla@xxxxxxxxx>

> Keith
>
> This is where I am. The train has left the station. I figure that
> there were some who had a similar situation when the FCC wanted to
> move FM from the 45 MHz band to the current location. Once it started
> on the way to being moved, it wasn't going to stop. Those who had old
> Armstrong band radios had to get one that got the new band if they
> wanted to hear FM.
>
> Total digital is inevitable. If it was ever going to be stopped, it
> would have been during the commenting period and it would have taken
> a monstrous number of comments to stop it.

This is where we disagree.  I think that it was inevitable that it was going to start but when real world situations occur then I think that the move to all digital on MW will be a long slow process if it ever happens.  By the time that decision happens there will be too many other delivery systems in place for the content that is now deliivered on MW.  I think FM will happen but even there it will not happen for at least 10 years (I remember reading those comments somewhere in RW from people in the industry).

> *IF* people still listen to radio, they sure aren't DXers and if they
> somehow wander on to the AM band, and they hear AM that sounds ok and
> has no static, they actually might like it. Who knows if MW IBOC will
> DX? We do know that digital radio is not so affected by your TV with
> the noisy power supply, the guy behind your house with an arc welder,
> or even dimmer switches and touch lamps.
Once again real world situations will dictate whether it will work or not.  When Norbert has trouble with WBZ's HD signal (no HD at all) at approximately 45 miles that spells trouble.  I'm sure WBZ's sales department will not be thrilled with that realization.  So picture this...MW goes all digital and Someone in SE Mass will wonder what the hell happened to WBZ even if they have an HD radio. Like I've said before I have trouble with a 5kw HD signal only 15 or so miles from me.  All the odds are stacked against MW HD...terrible coverage area...the need for some sort of external antenna to receive a 5kw signal at more than 15 miles...I ain't gonna happen.

> People, the average ones, they will like it because there is no
> static. They only will listen though if the programming is good.
> Nothing can fix that with a digital signal.
Sure they won't have any signal either unless they are within a very short distance from the transmitter.
The continued argument "Just turn off analog" seems rather peevish and IMHO does little to promote our hobby.  Granted that hobby may change or not be around in 5 or 10 years but the reason just won't be because of HD.
Keith McGinnis