Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

> 1) As Scott stated, the push for more AM IBOC seems to have abated with
> the energy focused on FM
>
> 2) Most of the listening public doesn't care enough about AM to spend
> the bucks needed for an HD radio
>
> 3) Of those who do, likely less than half will be able to hear what
> they expect to
>
> 4) Nighttime IBOC will inevitably create such a mass of interference
> that it will tip the scales to the point where what's obvious to us
> will ultimately become obvious to the industry, namely that AM IBOC is
> unworkable both because ot the construct and because the laws of
> physics are immutable.

For all the above reasons, I am convinced that AM IBOC is an electronic
Edsel that is going to die an unlamented death by early in the next
decade, if not sooner.

Pardon the lousy pun, but what do Cleopatra and the suits at IBiquity have
in common?  They're the QUEEN OF DENIAL!  Do iBiquity really believe the
public will jump like Pavlov's dog at anything "HD", "digital" or
"CD-quality"?  They seem to be unaware of something called THE MARKET.
People aren't exactly banging down the doors of Circuit City or Radio
Shack to buy IBOC radios, and unless their pockets are bottomless pits at
some time or other the bozos in the iBiquity boardroom will have to decide
to cut their losses.  FM IBOC might succeed, though it faces a tough fight
against XM/Sirius, iPODs, etc., but for most people AM is little more than
a leftover technology dating from the Harding admistration, offering a
motley assortment of brokered-time ethnics, right-wing nutbars,
bible-thumpers, sports talkers and ball games.

And one other wild card: when CFRB-1010 gets complaints from listeners in
the 905 area code (Toronto suburbia and exurbia) about poor reception
thanks to IBOC slop from WMVP-1000 or KDKA-1020, watch la merde hit le
ventilateur.

73

MIke Brooker
Toronto, ON