Re: [IRCA] Digitization of cassettes. New digital voice recorder

Charles A Taylor wrote:

> Finally finished digitization of my DX logging cassettes stretching back to
> 1978.
> All have been converted to MP3 files.

Congratulations!

> I made the mistake of acquiring two Verbatim Blu-ray BD-RE rewritable CDs.
> Can store up to 25 GB each. However, they are incompatible with this
> e-Machine of mine, so I wasted some $ there.

Yup...Blu-ray is the "next generation" of DVD (or at least one version
thereof), still quite rare in writable form.

> QUICK, ADVICE PLEASE ON WRITABLE CDs!  I know some of y'all
> can make some good recommendations.

I swear by Taiyo Yuden plain silver CD-Rs. I buy mine in bulk from
wherever I can find the cheapest price on the web when I need another
spindle - usually about $25/100. Haven't had one go bad on me yet.

> I have enough flash media to store the 2.75 GB on, but feel safer with a
> premium-grade writable CD. Two of them.

It'll take you four, actually - a standard CD holds 700 MB, so four of
'em would take 2.8 GB. Still, not bad at all for thirty years of DX!

(I don't suppose you're making copies available? :-)

). Activity is expected to decrease to quiet levels during 14 - 21 December. Activity is expected to increase to unsettled levels on 22 - 24 December due to another recurrent CH HSS. Activity is expected to decrease to quiet levels during 25 - 30 December. Activity is expected to increase to unsettled to active levels on 31 December - 02 January due to another recurrent CH HSS. Activity is expected to decrease to quiet levels during 03 - 05 January.

SWPC PRF 1736 09 December 2008