[IRCA] Digitization of cassettes. New digital voice recorder

[IRCA] Digitization of cassettes. New digital voice recorder

Group:

Finally finished digitization of my DX logging cassettes stretching back to
1978.
All have been converted to MP3 files.

A whopping 2.75 GB of space. Have them stored on two separate subdirectories
as a preventive to corruption. One subdirectory is the original WAV file after
inputting directly from the cassette deck: 13.7 GB!

I made the mistake of acquiring two Verbatim Blu-ray BD-RE rewritable CDs.
Can store up to 25 GB each. However, they are incompatible with this
e-Machine of mine, so I wasted some $ there.

QUICK, ADVICE PLEASE ON WRITABLE CDs!  I know some of y'all
can make some good recommendations.

Better be a little more careful in chosing the storage medium, next time.

Meanwhile, the cassettes are still stored away until I make the RIGHT choice
for writable media.

One of the Okinawa-era cassettes (1984 - 1986) became recalcitrant. It was
a rather mediocre quality RCA one. I had to open and reclose it five times
after:

1. The tape broke (once),
2. the bulk tape reels themselves were tight against the thick paper liners,
     that separated them from the shell (I removed one of the liners),
3. the tape separated from first one reel, then the other,
4. the tape became entangled between the shell halves.

The Bermuda tapes may have deteriorated, but I was using a rather inferior-
grade portable cassette recorder. They were still quite intelligible.

I have enough flash media to store the 2.75 GB on, but feel safer with a
premium-grade writable CD. Two of them.

What amounts to bigger news is the acquisition of  an Olympus DS-30
Digital Voice Recorder to replace my old cassette deck.

This recorder accepts a 1/8-inch stereo plug for audio input. Totally
disconnects the internal microphone.

This little thing is going to get a write-up, later.

73 de Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina