[IRCA] The sky is not falling, and the hobby's far from dead

[IRCA] The sky is not falling, and the hobby's far from dead

Now that the FCC has done its thing today, I fully expect the DX lists
to get very full, very fast, of more of the same doom-and-gloom posts
that we've been seeing in earnest for the last few weeks, predicting the
death of the DX hobby with what sometimes seems (to my eyes at least)
like an unseemly glee.

My two cents amidst the noise, if I may:

I watched the FCC hearing this morning. The commissioners spent almost
no time talking about the AM nighttime authority for IBOC. Their
interest is in FM HD multicasting, and particularly in how that affects
their pet issues - programming diversity, sponsorship identification,
political advertising, obscenity, etc.

I spend a lot of time traveling the country, visiting radio stations
large and small and talking to radio people, from small station owners
all the way up to the engineering VPs at the big groups.

Here's what I'm hearing: multicasting - *FM HD* multicasting, which is
the only kind there is - is where all the action is. The original idea
that "improved" digital audio would be the big selling point for HD
Radio has fallen largely by the wayside.

For AM HD, that "improved" audio was the only selling point, and without
it, converting more stations to IBOC will be a tough sell. Just because
24-hour operation is now legally possible does NOT - I can't emphasize
this enough - does NOT mean that we'll suddenly go from the current
couple of hundred AMs with HD to thousands of AM HD stations, overnight,
or probably ever.

Based on what I'm hearing and seeing in my travels, I don't think the
lack of 24-hour authority was the factor that was holding most AM
stations back from converting to HD. There are plenty of other drawbacks
that are well known within the engineering community: nighttime
interference, questionable audio quality on the current codecs, and
limited reach of AM HD signals (of the three HD AMs in my market, I can
only hear two of them at all reliably, and I expect that the third,
which is already iffy by day, will be entirely unusable in HD at night
where I am.)

Bottom line: will HD Radio be a failure? No - but whatever success it
achieves as a niche medium will be as a result of FM multicasting and
the new options it opens up to broadcasters in a position to take
advantage of them (like public radio, for instance, where an average
station has access to much more programming than it has airtime on its
main signal). AM HD may go the way of AM stereo and fade into oblivion,
or at worse it may show up on a few hundred stations and cause us, as
DXers, some new interference headaches.

But to predict that somehow everyone on the dial will suddenly turn on
the buzzsaws just because the FCC says they can is to ignore a market
reality in which AM HD has already become an afterthought.

No, this is not a happy day for AM DX, but neither is it the end of the
hobby, not by a long shot.