Re: [IRCA] An idea for future DX Tests.....

Re: [IRCA] An idea for future DX Tests.....

> > Also, Charlie Taylor (the expert) and I have "played" with precision
> > frequency measurements (PFM) while stationed overseas. After a
while,

> *** That goes back to the days when the FBIS published lists on
> monitored frequencies to that same level of decimals on a regular
> basis. The late Gordon Nelson used it heavily. There again, you have
> the same discussion - does  a DX catch have to be heard ro count or
can
> it be seen. PFM is a bit farther toward the end of the scale than FM
> RDS or even code via sidebands or the spectrum analyer display, but
> back in the day when there were the FBIS books to validate against....
>

> Russ Edmunds

The FBIS did publish "Broadcasting Stations of the World" in sort
of a telephone directory format, but the listings that were made
to a 0.1 Hz resolution were done by the European Broadcasting
Union for internal use and of course listed just the European
frequencies, though e. g. WINS-1010, Globo-1220, CKCW and
things like Astrakhan would occasionally appear as "splits".

EBU had six monitoring stations. Of them, Tatsfield and
Jurbise were the most prolific in reporting the lower power
Eu signals, and the exact carrier offset they measured.

The FBIS lists could be purchased by anyone through the
Government Printing Office. I don't think anyone ever found
out exactly who the "mole" was that provided the EBU lists
(as copies) to GPN, the sole North American "consumer" of
that data AFAIK. Gordon always delighted in showing off
his latest copies, which appeared monthly, when we still
had Boston-based DX parties in the late 60's.

Despite the public GPO sales outlet, it always happened that,
about every 18 months (when a new edition appeared),
a complete set of FBIS lists - by freq, by location, and TV/VHF -
would mysteriously appear in the mailbox of the current IDXD
editor, mailed from PO Box 2604, Washington DC. in a plain
manila envelope.

Some of the FBIS entries were "listed operations" and had
only fair to good data accuracy and the freqs were shown
just to the nearest kHz. Just one of several data sources.
You could tell by the print typeface that they were done on
a big mainframe and a lineprinter, and offset mastered.

DXing is so much less interesting these days.

- Bob