Re: [IRCA] An idea for future DX Tests.....

--- Mike Hardester <DX4EVR@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Yes. Radio Netherlands had this as a topic MANY years ago. I don't
> recall if it was theory or actually being researched at the time. You
>
> might check with them for further info.
>
> Also, Charlie Taylor (the expert) and I have "played" with precision
> frequency measurements (PFM) while stationed overseas. After a while,
>
> you get to recognize a station by its PFM read-out. For example Radio
>
> Pyongyang, 635 kHz (1976 and 1977) had a signature consistently
> ranging
> between 634.882 and 634.900; the outlet on 655 kHz was a bit tighter
> at
> 654.990 and 654.996.

*** That goes back to the days when the FBIS published lists on
monitored frequencies to that same level of decimals on a regular
basis. The late Gordon Nelson used it heavily. There again, you have
the same discussion - does  a DX catch have to be heard ro count or can
it be seen. PFM is a bit farther toward the end of the scale than FM
RDS or even code via sidebands or the spectrum analyer display, but
back in the day when there were the FBIS books to validate against....

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id