[IRCA] KMTI Test Heard

A late report from the Great White North...

I wasn't planning to be up for this one, just try unattended recording, but as
it happened, I woke up to a call of nature around 0235 EDT, so I wandered
down to the radio room to have a quick listen.  I was gratified to hear some
sweep tones almost immediately.  After a quick chat with Les, Marc and
Brandon on #mwdx, I headed back to the sack, secure in the knowledge that I
had something recorded from KMTI.  Checking the recordings today, I found
that the signal improved somewhat after 0300... starting at 0309, and several
times thereafter, in addition to the sweeps, there were some nice code IDs:
"DE KMTI KMTI KMTI MANTI UT".  A welcome addition to the log indeed, UT #4
and 650 #11.  Thanks to all involved!

An interesting 650 sidelight: a little past 0500, a signal with the Canadian
anthem climbed on top, followed by a clear "La Premiere Chaine de
Radio-Canada" ID.  This could only be CBF3, a 40 W LPRT in
Lebel-sur-Quevillon QC, about 400 km north of here.  I checked the log, and
I've only heard this one once before - strangely enough, it was exactly two
years ago, on March 19, 2005!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON