Re: [IRCA] 388 question

At 01:34 PM 3/7/2007 -0500, you wrote:
> >From: "Bob Young" <youngbob53@xxxxxxx>
> >To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [IRCA] 388 question
> >Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:25:19 -0500

> >Hi Z,
> >
> >I have a question for you:
> >I finally got a 388 and it is everything you've said they would be, I love
> >it. My question is when in the crystal position it seems to oscillate for a
> >second when the two knobs are tapped and the center frequency will sometime
> >move about 1 khz from position to position, ex. from 200 cycles then to a
> >wider postition I will have to retune, this is with the BFO on or off. I'm
> >positve it's not a tube, it is coming from somewhere in the crystal
> >selectivity box (or whatever you call it) Does this most likely seem like
> >bad contacts on the selectivity switch itself, or probably a bad connection
> >somewhere inside of it? I also get this same thing with an HRO-60 I have
> >but not anywhere enar as bad. Could the crystal itself just being old do
> this?
> >Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bob Young
Millbury, Ma
KB1OKL

Bob,

I recommend you clean the contacts of the selectivity switch with isopropyl
alcohol. A squirt, operate the switch a few times, and other squirt, etc.

That ought to clear the condition, but from your description it might also
be the crystal. So please advise whether the alcohol does the job.

If you DARE use tuner/contact cleaner, I WILL personally strangle you.

Contact cleaner can cause more problems than it fixes.

I also have heard (through other sources) that contact cleaner was tested on
Komodo lizards, so that's another reason to avoid it. hi.

Please advise what the results are!

Charles
        -----
Charles A Taylor, WD4INP