[IRCA] Censoring ourselves (was KXEL, etc. etc., etc.)

[IRCA] Censoring ourselves (was KXEL, etc. etc., etc.)

Patrick,

I disagree. Profoundly. This list is about US (MW DXers) and our hobby. Are
we going to censor ourselves because we're worried about the opinions or
"hurt feelings" of someone who Googles into our list?

I think not!

I made my initial comments about KXEL, and I let them stand. I DID prefix
them with a "sweetener" of making a fool of myself. But I still say they
have their validity.

I never even slightly supposed there would break loose the debate that
followed!

The debate showed me some holes in my thinking, but I  think the whole
debate was germane to our hobby.

We are blessed with members who work in the broadcast business as a
profession. They had their say, and even they debated amongst themselves.

That said, KXEL is the first 50-kW clear that I know of in the past 20
years that stayed flat, dead, off the air for nearly a week. Towers have
collapsed, and the associated stations got back on (albeit with reduced
coverage) in a hurry.

Furthermore, there existed a major disaster in the chaos following the
winter storm up in Iowa. That was KXEL's chance to serve. Bad generator?
Bad fuel?  In that case, FEMA dropped the load, too.

Down here, we went through some major flooding in the dual wake of
Hurricanes David and Floyd. Grifton remained without power for 68 hours and
10 minutes. I very much appreciated the day-by-day, minute-by-minute
updates on local-area stations that stayed on the air with backup power.

If "engineers" need to go trolling via Google to find disparaging remarks
on a hobby site, then maybe they need to find themselves other hobbies.

Just my 2¢ worth.

73,

Charles
        -----