[IRCA] A couple of Iowa college items from the early 1960s.

[IRCA] A couple of Iowa college items from the early 1960s.

Hi!

The unfortunate thing about KHKE stirred up a few memories.

Under the trivia heading, when KRNL, a 10 Watt FM-er came on the air in
about 1963, I was the person that installed the equipment and even had done
the FCC paper work.

They had had a carrier current station before that. And after the FM came on
there were little AM transmitters fed by an FM receiver because so few of
the students had FM radios! That little station had a range of about 15
miles.

And I did the last upgrade of Coe College's carrier current system that they
planned to use for just a couple or three years before they too went to FM
KCOE.

In 1969 the Division of Audio-Visual Instruction of the National Education
Association had their convention in Portland, Oregon and this was my last
Carrier current project, although I did repair the one at Reed College near
Portland.

At the time I was the engineer for KBPS ("Benson Polytechnic School"). This
was, and is, the station of the Portland, Oregon Public Schools. They were
at the time 250 watts unlimited on 1450. During my time I filed paperwork
with the FCC there in Portland to increase their power to 1 KW. The old AM
transmitter had been built in the 30s, so I was told. It had marvelous
performance and great audio and RF power to spare. Most reliable. I ran
proof on it three or four times. I had to rebuild it over Christmas break in
1968-1968 - no school - not on the air. That required an extra proof or two.
All was well with it except the olde wires' insulation was crumbling and
there were a couple of tube types that were on the far edge of becoming
extinct.

UNI's station has a repeater or translator here in Des Moines. It is located
t the Site of KDPS, 88.1, the Des Moines Public School station, on the air
since ca. 1952. I was in Des Moines Tech high school at the time. (The calls
are: KBPS and KDPS.)

I have lots of olde time radio memories.

Check desmoinesbroadcasting.com and click on KCBC, where I worked for about
8-1/2 years, and be prepared....

Please excuse the perhaps maudlin memories of an olde coot. ("Olde" is the
olde way to spell "old.")

73,

Doc.