Re: [IRCA] The Wobbler

Bill,

As far as all reports I've seen and my own ongoing investigation of
the Wobbler phenomenon, they originate only from Cuban AM broadcast
stations.  There is certainly the possibility they could occur
elsewhere under similar conditions, but no US, Canadian, or Mexican
stations have been heard to produce Wobblers.

Wobblers are often heard interfering to some degree with other
stations.  It is the interaction of the varying carrier of the
Wobbler and other carriers that produce the most audible result.  Of
course a very strong local station will likely not be affected so
much as weaker stations.

Wobblers originate on many different Cuban AMs, up and down the
dial.  A list is given on the web site along with a log of recent
receptions I've made.  Most of these are weak and unlikely to be
heard at any great distance beyond Florida or possibly immediately
adjacent Gulf and Atlantic states.  The occasional extremely strong
ones -- like 1100 Radio Cadena Habana of late -- have been heard all
the way to the northwest coast and once even in Hawaii.

You can read all about the Wobbler, with audio clips and spectrum
images, at the web site -- link in my signature.

For a quick listen here is a direct link to a 27kB audio clip:
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/wobbler/wobbler7-5.mp3
Note: To best evaluate this recording you'll want to use the Windows
audio mixer controls -- or your equivalent -- to play the left and
right channels independently.  The Left channel is the processed
signal, the Right channel is the signal as received.

To enhance the ability to detect weak Wobblers I use USB and off-tune
to produce a beat note, this elevates the pitch of the Wobbler making
it much easier to hear.  That is the difference between the left and
right channels in this recording.  The right channel is what you
would hear just tuning along the AM dial, if a strong Wobbler were
encountered.  The left channel was produced using special tuning
techniques to make the Wobbler more obvious.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida, USA