Re: [IRCA] (OT) Cable internet help needed

Re: [IRCA] (OT) Cable internet help needed

Patrick,

  I had cable internet/TV when I lived in Manteca and had no problems at all.  In general, the only time you will have issues there is if there are cable connections that are causing leakage OR if you have distribution amplifiers/splitters that are unterminated.  A lot of people bring the cable (or Dish/DirecTV) in and add amplifiers and/or splitters to put it where they want it without paying for installation, then use cheap (or old) cable.  Unless their own signal has problems, they don't think about the leakage that could affect others.

  Mike

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Greetings;

I have been using dial up on the Oregon coast since I bought Web TV in
1996. In the past few months I have obtained a computer. I am getting so
tired of dealing with noisy lines and getting a 26.4 norm baud rate for
dial up. You can imagine how slow that is to download anything. Living
in a rural area, I have few choices. DSL is not available here. Except
dial up, I can get cable or satellite. Satellite, I am looking at $60 a
month and then will have to deal with our rain and wind. I found out
today via the Charter Cable website, they have three levels on internet
service. The least expensive will run circles around the dial up out
here at 3 megs/sec for $19.99 a month. I have satellite TV, so I do not
want of need cable TV. So I am only looking at it for internet service.
I live in a very quiet area with little noise. Will running cable into
the house increase the noise level, like increasing noise from nearby TV
sets (TVI)? I am more concerned about my noise floor going up than I am
getting a faster baud rate. I do know that neighbors around here that
have cable TV, when a neighbor switched from the Dish Network to cable,
the TVI increased for me, even though all of the cable in underground as
all utes are here.
Any help would be appreciated.

73,

Patrick