Re: [IRCA] 540 kHz hearing KNBR

At 19:41 07/02/2007, you wrote:
>Hi all, on 540 in the day time, I get what appears to be a harmonic of
>knbr, but a friend of mine theorizes this as being a translator, and
>wonder if this is a translator, or a harmonic of 680?  660 has a
>harmonic of ksfo, in the day time, and I wonder if this too is a
>translator, or a harmonic of 560.  This from my location in Oakland
>with the g e super radio 3.

Third order mixing products, Marty.

(2 * frequency of local #1)  plus or minus  (frequency of local #2);
you sometimes hear only one of these locals, but it's the combination
of the two that causes it.  The mixing occurs either in your radio,
or at some external point, possibly where there is corroded metal
that is acting like a diode.

In the 540 case (2*610) - 680 =  540

660:    (2*610) - 560 = 660

Is KEAR (I think; still KFRC in what passes for my mind) close to you?

best wishes,

Nick