Re: [IRCA] 720 Growler

On Friday 05 January 2007 22:28, saulamdx wrote:
> I dunno what else to call it. Not really a growl in
> the precise sense. Someone's probably off-frequency.
> My guess is a Cuban or other Latin. Null Chicago and
> it sounds like this muffled station perhaps with very
> poor modulation. I'm not getting any discernable
> programming yet, but if any sound rises I will check
> any against 670 for Rebelde or 890 for Progreso (Barry
> McLarnon (Ottawa ON) reported a a Progreso last night
> on 720). Cubans and venezuelans moderate. I also have
> tent Columbia 760. Otherwise this evening is highly
> unimpressive. It's 10:25 pm EST.

Unimpressive here too, but R. Sucre did make another appearance on 700, just
after midnight.

720 is growly for good reason - there are no less than four stations heard
here at night that are far enough off-frequency to create an audible het.
I've made it a bit of a personal project to sort out the 720 scene, but I
still have a ways to go.  Here's what I've determined so far:

719.904  YNRC R. Catolica, Nicaragua
719.952  RJR Jamaica
719.999  XEAVR R. Formula, Veracruz
720.000  WGN
720.003  R. Progreso, Cuba (tentative)
720.067  UNID
720.102  UNID

The 720.067 UNID is intriguing.  I know that they play a lot of lively Latino
music, and that they sign off at 0300z.  They also seem to be slowly drifting
downward in frequency, as they were on 720.070 a week or two ago.  No clues
about the other UNID,  except that they also sign off, at either 0300 or
0400.  YNRC seems to sign off between 0400 and 0500.  RJR is usually the
dominant here with WGN nulled, and the most likely source of the growl you
heard.  Missing in action of late are YVQE Porlamar, which used to be fairly
common here, and HJAN Barranquilla, which also showed up from time to time.

And that's the 720 nighttime story thus far...

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON