[IRCA] Crystal radios

> The antenna coil of my xtl radio, made of 30x of 660/46 Litz on a 4"
styrene
> plumbing coupler, rigged a la' Tuggle front end (double ganged air
variable,
> one gang tunes ground, the other gang tunes the coil and antenna)..

The crystal radio genre is interesting to me.  Do you have a schemetic of
that somewhere?  I've often thought that a long enough antenna could pick up
enough RF to power an amplifier for the front end as a regeneration set.
When I was a kid, I remember putting a diode and some sort of meter between
a long wire and ground, and got a reasonable current.  Run out two or more
longwires in different directions.  Use one for the desired signal and the
others as power pickup for the regen amp.

I have some *big* silver plated copper edge-wound coils from some old
broadcast transmitters and antennas.  One is roughly ten inches in diameter
and a foot long on the windings.  About 250mh, IIRC.  It came from a
1940-vintage Western Electric transmitter.  I have a bunch more of similar
coils and some humongous air-variable caps, too.  Those would have very low
loss, maybe better than Litz wire.  I think Litz is good at LW, and less
effective on BCB.

Interesting project, if I *ever* have some free time.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI