Re: [IRCA] mp3 recorders for recording DX

Re: [IRCA] mp3 recorders for recording DX

Bill,

I have an IFP-890 also and like it just fine for recording DX.  It does have
proprietary software and file formats, as you say, but the software as I
have it  installed always asks me if I want to convert the files to MP3 the
instant I drag them to my PC.  I always say "yes" to conversion, and it
takes only a few seconds.  It works great, and I get around the time stamp
issue by noting the time I start each recording, and then using my WinAmp or
CoolEdit clock display to add the time up and arrive at the correct time of
day for any part of the recorded audio.

I certainly don't need any more fidelity, as the DX captures are far below
HD quality anyway.  I've found that 32- or even 16-bit to be more than
adequate for recording DX and getting solid readable IDs.

Interestingly, the file size of the proprietary file, and the MP3 converted
file, is always identical.  I suspect the proprietary file is actually coded
as an MP3 by the IFP-890 but just not recognized by the computer as one.

If you ever decide to part with your 890, I'd be happy to take it off your
hands!  Having two, one for DX recording and the other for regular
podcasting/walking/exercise would be great!

Brent

Brent Taylor, VE1JH
Doaktown, NB - Grid FN66wn
60 mi inland from Northumberland Strait
R-75, ICF-2010 (2), ICF-7600GR, R390A/URR
Large Pennant, Dipole, RS Loops, Quantum Phaser