Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1610 mystery station - Invitation to #mwdx

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1610 mystery station - Invitation to #mwdx

Bob,

As I understand it now -- after some expert tutelage -- in your
scenario you would see just what you describe.  Indeed, that was what
we have been seeing with the 1610 test signal.

All of the other signals I was describing were simply the result of
the interaction of the uncommon situation of a steady test tone
signal with the receiver BFO.  Switch everything back to AM and quit
trying to be so clever and presto, you have a 1kHz tone on 1610.

It would seem under normal circumstances because of proximity to the
carrier, no one would be looking so closely as to see those offset
signals.  And of course with a normal AM signal the modulation is all
over the place so what you hear and see does not give the impression
of offset carriers.

What I failed to recognize -- amongst other things -- was that last
night when I could not hear the 1kHz test tone but could detect the
main carrier, I did not see any apparent offset carriers.  Tonight
when the audio was strong, those signals were there.  When talk of
1609 and 1611 began, sure enough, there they were right in front of me.

Sorry I muddied the water with my details, should have stuck to
something I understood, like, "I heard a tone too."

Curt