Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] [NRC-AM] 1610 mystery station - Invitation to #mwdx

Solid here in NW NJ, with SS underneath.

-----Original Message-----
From: amdx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amdx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Russ Edmunds
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:06 PM
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Cc: mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; AM WTFDA; dxhub
Subject: Re: [Amdx] [NRC-AM] 1610 mystery station - Invitation to #mwdx

--- Jim Tonne <tonne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In Oak Ridge, Tennessee, the signal on 1610 is now
> (6 PM) quite clear.  Looking at the RF (at IF) on a scope shows pretty
> full modulation.  Kicking in a
> 3 kHz mechanical filter allows one sideband at a time to be lopped,
> yielding the "two-tone" pattern.  That observation then concludes that
> this is a full-carrier doublesideband signal.  Strength is similar to
> the 10 kW carriers on nearby frequencies but below the level of the 50
> kW signal in the low 1500s.
> Some fading so it is not local to eastern TN.

I just gave a brief listen on the 2010 and came up with a very similar
conclusion. The signal remains equally strong on 1609, 1610 and 1611, and
the tone is audible on all 3 in the narrow mode. Seems to me like either
what Jim notes above or a very broadband modulated signal. Given superior
equipment, I'd defer to Jim's assessment.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id