Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1610 mystery station - Invitation to #mwdx

--- Jim Tonne <tonne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In Oak Ridge, Tennessee, the signal on 1610 is now
> (6 PM) quite clear.  Looking at the RF (at IF) on a
> scope shows pretty full modulation.  Kicking in a
> 3 kHz mechanical filter allows one sideband at a time
> to be lopped, yielding the "two-tone" pattern.  That
> observation then concludes that this is a full-carrier
> doublesideband signal.  Strength is similar to the
> 10 kW carriers on nearby frequencies but below
> the level of the 50 kW signal in the low 1500s.
> Some fading so it is not local to eastern TN.

I just gave a brief listen on the 2010 and came up with a very similar
conclusion. The signal remains equally strong on 1609, 1610 and 1611,
and the tone is audible on all 3 in the narrow mode. Seems to me like
either what Jim notes above or a very broadband modulated signal. Given
superior equipment, I'd defer to Jim's assessment.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id