Re: [IRCA] News of Triumphant HD Rollout; 25 1515Z NOV 06; PVZ

Re: [IRCA] News of Triumphant HD Rollout; 25 1515Z NOV 06; PVZ

> Best of all, this great iBLOC-a-ceiver is deaf as post to  50 K/snot
> flamethrower six miles distant. OoooohhhWow!

I try to limit myself to one post a month on the HD topic, so here goes for
November..

This will be the Achilles' Heel of HD.  I have had two JVC HD radios.  Both
were exceptional analog receivers on both AM and FM.  Yet HD coverage was
half the radius of good quality analog on both AM and FM - and I'm being
generous.  This same experience was echoed by two other local BC techs who
have a Kenwood and Panasonic respectively.  It's not a brand issue, as it
seems to be the norm across every radio out there.  Once the public seizes
this information from their early adopter friends, it'll stifle sales.  This
dog won't hunt.

One claim made for FM is that they will provide a greater span of
programming choices.  I think it will be opposite by killing off choices.  A
case in point..  In the Providence area when I'm not near the shared
94.1/95.5 site, WMVY-92.7 is often listenable.  Once WSNE-93.3 fired up HD,
the broadband noise wiped them out over a wide radius.  I have an FM antenna
at 80' aimed toward WMVY at home.  Still NG. For every new HD signal, I'd
bet several "stations between the stations" become inaudible.  Net loss.

I am frankly very offended when a broadcaster tells me I have no right to
listen to a station outside their city grade coverage.  I have been able to
do so for decades.  I've gone so far as to tell one guy to go procreate
freely with himself when he said that.

The HD2 signals have been pretty much unlistenable unless I'm quite near the
transmitter site for FM.  Even some traffic signals emit noise that vex it.
There is no analog to fold back to, so it just shuts off until it can
resync.  Too choppy for me..

So far my clients have all come to the same conclusion about HD without my
uttering a word.  I simply reinforced their decisions.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI