Re: [IRCA] Slow mail and No Hawaii

> I saw the IRCA website page on the Quantum Loop and I was wondering if the
> antenna in the Superadio would cause the null received by the loop to be
> cancelled out. In other words the undesired signal wouldn't come in
through
> the loop, but would come in through the radio's internal antenna. Do you
> (or anybody else) know if this is a problem? I'd hate to have to unsolder
> the antenna on the radio.

You can leave the internal antenna alone and augment it with a larger
external loop.  If you have seen the plans on how to build a tuned loop, and
have a air variable capacitor from an old radio, you can do that.  The loop
can be as simple as maybe 20-30 turns of wire wrapped around a 1' square box
and the ends connected to the two terminals on the capacitor.  Stick the
radio in the box so the turns are oriented vertically, and around the
front/back of the radio.  Tune for a peak.  Cheap, and effective.  The air
core wire loop would work better that way than the Quantum.  A lot cheaper,
too.

> P.S.: I figured out TP and TA, but the rest of the hobby's abbriviations
> are a bear :-/

When you find some that aren't clear, drop a note in here..  Glad to help!

Craig Healy
Providence, RI