From: "Russ Edmunds" <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <dxhub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [dxhub] Questions on Loop Antennas

--- joecatch2001 <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So my questions are:
> 1. Does a loop have to be located high off the ground or would it
> work in a raise ranch where the basement is half below ground?

A loop will work less well below grade than at ground level. The effect
will be noticeable in two ways - 1) any metal ( ductwork, pipes )
within the field of the loop will distort its directionality; 2) the
ability to receive longer distance signals ( near the long end of the
distance prescribed for 1 hop skip ) will be compromised. I have my
shack in a full basement, entirely below grade. I estimate that I lose
any signals coming in at an angle below about 20 degrees. What that has
meant is that I can receive KOA here on my car radio parked in the
garage, but not using the loop in the basement. San Antonio is about
the most distant, reliable signal I've heard here.

> 2. I think a 2-2.5' loop would be ideal for me size wise, can I get
> good performance from it?

*** That size would work - it will simply produce somewhat less gain
than a 4' loop.

> 3. Where can I get SIMPLE plans for a 2-2.5' loop? I need something
> simple using just wire, wood and a varible cap.

*** You'll likely have to build it.

> 4. Since it would be used just for receiving, would the type of wire
> or insulation make any difference?

*** I'd recommend insulated, stranded # 12 or # 14. That's what most of
us use.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]