[IRCA] 1360/570 diplex

I guess I should never say never--especially given the craziness of the
radio biz, but I doubt that this will happen. If Salem and the owners of KVI
could have struck a deal, wouldn't KKMO be diplexed with KVI? Would have
been a lot less expensive and a lot quicker than three years on the boat.
And KKOL wouldn't have to make do with the very mediocre signal in Seattle
that results from the distant site. Also 1290 in where (Port Angeles?)
wouldn't have had to go dark. Just how much power KKMO could have gotten
using the KVI tower is an interesting question, though. The field strength
in the minima of KKOL's old two-tower 5-kW night pattern was just over 400
mV/m @ 1 km. It would take less than 1 kW into an almost 5/8-wave tower
(especially one with a ground system designed for 570) to produce the same
field. So KKOL would have been limited to, at most, 850W or so at night,
which almost certainly would have necessitated a waiver of the rule that
requires the NIF contour to cover 80% of the CoL. To compenstate for the
tall tower's greater efficiency at 1300, KOL's day power would doubtless
have had to dcrease as well, though not as much as the night power, because
KKOL's old day tower was more than half wave. KKOL might have been allowed
day power of 4 kW or more from KVI's tower.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367