[IRCA] TAs last night extraordinarily strong in Missouri

[IRCA] TAs last night extraordinarily strong in Missouri

Neil Kazaross posted to the IRCA list (haven't seen it on NRC-AM...)
that he was getting lots of TA audio last night, such as Azores-693
mixing with UK, and that he was noting SPAIN atop 1215 last night rather
than Virgin Radio.

That confirms what I was hearing last night on 1215--one of the few
times I've had any real audio on that frequency, and while rather
muffled (and having to deal with slop from 1210 & 1220), it definitely
sounded (in terms of phrasing, cadence, etc.) like Spanish rather than
English.  I had a pretty strong het on 693 but really couldn't pull up
any audio to speak of.

However, Croatia on 1134 was HUGE last night between 0330 and 0400 UTC
(10:30 and 11pm Central)... I'm talking nearly even in strength with
1130 and 1140 domestics.  Strongest I think I've ever heard them, with
Eastern European language (presume Croatian!) news-talk.  At 0400 there
were two fairly long--well, I can't call them "pips" because they were
nearly a second long each, so I guess I'll call 'em "tones" (1000Hz
tones), followed by a full-second tone, and as clear as can be, an ID of
"Hvratski Radio" (huh-VRAHT-skee RAH-dee-oh).

All this on a barefoot Sony 7600GR. (I seem to be doing nearly all my
DXing these days after going to bed on the Sony portable, while my Yaesu
FRG-100/Quantum Loop combo are gathering dust upstairs...)

Folks in the Midwest & the Plains states: you won't get reception from
Europeans like that EVERY night, but it CAN be done, and on simple
equipment, at least for the -4 and -5 kHz splits like 1215, 684, 1134
etc. (The synchronous detector and selectable SSB on the Sony are
helpful sometimes, but I didn't need them for the Croatian on 1134.
There's only one IF bandwidth, but it's fairly narrow.)  Anything less
than that and you need narrow IF filters, single-sideband, and perhaps
passband tuning to pull up audio.  Like last year, this is looking to be
a GOOD DX season for TA reception all over North America.

Randy Stewart
Springfield MO