Re: [IRCA] convention notes

Quoting Walter Salmaniw <salmaniw@xxxxxxx>:

> At 12:57 PM 9/24/2006, Guy Atkins wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >I just got back about 30 min. ago from the convention, and John is heading
> >north for the 3 o'clock ferry.>

Heh, luckily, neither of you had to cross the border which was virtually shut
down a short time before we arrived, by a labor disagreement.  But...finally
back in Canada after a couple of hours wait in the last few yards of the USA.

Thanks very much to Patrick for a very fine convention, and to John Bryant and
Guy Atkins for organizing the Presentation sessions on Saturday afternoon.  I
hope others had as enjoyable and informative time as I did.  Seaside is an
entertaining town in a fine setting, even without thinking of the DX
possibilities.  Theo Donnelly and I couldn't think of an equivalent place in
western Canada at any rate, though places in Japan and England did spring to
mind; bet the town doesn't realize what cosmopolitan company it's keeping, hi.
A great place for a convention.  Having good size salmon jumping in the water
outside one's room was a bonus.

And, the DX possibilities....even in a somewhat noisy motel room, using a 1m
square ALA100 on the balcony facing away from the ocean (Guy wasn't the only
ALA100 user), 34 Asiatic channels were heard with audio (some with more than
one audio) on the 22nd from 1330UTC onward.  Not nearly as good the next
morning, but even the Grayland group with their Beverages didn't fare very
well, so it was conditions. The 24th was certainly better than Walt described
just recently, but still only 19 channels with audio.  Overall, it's clear why
Patrick hears so much good stuff.

best wishes,

Nick