Re: [IRCA] DX Tests and QSLs (Redux)

>From: Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I worked at WFLI radio years ago, and saw the CE
> there "rubber stamp" reception reports without ever
> once listening to the recording, or checking
> details against the station log. At WDEF, the
> situation was much the same...so how "real" is such
> a verification?

I'm sure some of us remember years ago, one of the
huge hobby issues concerned just what constituted a
verification, how "real" it was, and other issues
including the "rubber stamp" item you mentioned above.
 Gerry Dexter was one of the big hobby names I
remember being involved, and a large part of an entire
chapter was devoted to the subject in one of his
DXing-themed books I read back in the 80's.

Basically, the general hobby consensus was that a
verification is merely the opinion of station
personnel (in tangible form of course), based on the
details presented in a reception report, that their
station was heard by the reporting DXer.  I agree with
this consensus.

Based on that, even if a station sent me a QSL card or
letter without checking my report against a program
log, listening to a recording, etc., then any
verification they send me is just as real as one sent
facts-checking first.

I think it can be tempting sometimes to look at QSLs
in the same way as a Certificate Of Authenticity - as
proof that something is indeed what it claims to be.

A QSL is only a souvenir, that carries with it the
opinion of a representative of the station that the
DXer did indeed hear them.

Just my 2 cents worth (okay, 1 1/2, but who's keeping
score?).

73  -  J.D. Stephens
       Hampton Cove, AL