[IRCA] Star Roamer to Solid State

Hi,
I started DXing around 1964 with a Star Roamer shortwave that I bought from Allied Radio.  I built it and my dad had to correct my mistakes to get it to work.  I would listen to short-wave stations and hams on the amateur band.  I even bought a Amateur call book and got some QSL's. The amateurs would always encourage me to get a license.  My dad told me he would purchase the amateur equipment for me.  I just wanted to listen to stations not talk.  A friend at school sold me a 1937 Fada radio and I got into MW dxing.
One late winter night at midnight I was tuned to 850 with the recorder running and heard the sound of news room ticker tape running. Then the words "This is KICY Nome Alaska".  I was hooked on MW dxing.  Latter bought a HQ 180 from Henry Radio in Los Angeles.  Still have it.  DX until the mid 70's and some in the early 80's and now again starting in 2003.  Planning on retiring soon and MW Dxing seems to be a nice hobby to retire into.

The only amateurs I listen to now are the ex friends of Art Bell on 3840 on LSB.  They are usually on around 0700-0900 UTC.  They sometimes have a phone-patch and ask for short-wave listeners to call in and chat with the guys. Like MW dxing listening not many young people are interested in amateur radio.

Off this week on vacation.  Grayland for 2 days and then the convention.  Hope the A index drops.

Dennis Vroom
Vancouver, WA