[IRCA] KCMD 970 Portland OR

Hello,

Talked with my neighbor who is the engineer for local AM station KCMD.  He mentioned that KCMD was off the morning of  9/2.  The large antenna switch contacts burnt in the transmitter and they were off replacing the switch. The switch changes there daytime pattern to nighttime pattern. He said he would let me know next time KCMD would be off again..

He told me that when they check the antenna pattern that the FCC tells them exactly where to go with the RF meter.  The RF meter is large and expensive.  They take the readings and give them to the FCC.  KCMD antenna is on the hill South of Portland,  Recent cell phone sites on the hill has changed KCMD antenna pattern.

He noticed that I had the EWE up and asked what I had be hearing.  He was surprised that I was trying to ID a station in Asia on 648. Told him about the beverages that Pat & Steve use and he was amazed at the length of the antenna.

648 faded out at 1345 UTC Monday morning.  Will give it a try this morning and hope for a TOH reception at 1400 UTC. Been trying for the last 4 mornings to ID this station.  With the A index at 23 it will be tuff.
Good Luck Dxing.

Dennis
Vancouver, WA