Re: [IRCA] Semi-OT, maybe not - Poll question

Re: [IRCA] Semi-OT, maybe not - Poll question

I am sorry you seem to be experiencing an attitude problem from ham radio
operators.

Having been in the DX hobby for some 57 years, I did not have a problem back
in the 50's with hams or their attitude. The problem comes today with the
persons on all these e-mail list and in AM/SWL BCB clubs. They seem to know
what you have heard or not heard, and they will tell you about it. I have a
very difficult time dealing with the "CB attitude" that prevails through out
the hobby.  Hell, you can't even ask a question on these list with out those
who can't understand how to read words, jumping down your throat.

When I interred the hobby, in the late 40's, I wrote off for QSL's from
hams, but the post office did not deliver them. The post man brought them to
my mom one day, and he was a ham operator, told me and her, about the radio
amateurs call book. He was willing to help an SWL. In time I got my ticket,
I not only wanted to talk to these people but I wanted to play with antennas
and transmitters. This was before CB radio was invented. There was an
attitude of wanting to do things by the law, which doesn't happen in CB
radio or in the general public this day and time. Over the years, many other
hams have helped to advance in the hobby.

The attitude you mention does exists in ham radio, and for a good reason.
The majority of listeners do have the expertise to be a part of field day
operations and to run traffic during an emergency. So many are not/ were not
willing to put forth the effort to learn the material to pass the exam even
for the basic tech. ticket, which could be passed in your sleep. Myself, I
had to do 20 wpm plus written exam to get my extra.

Anyhow, I know this will fall onto deaf ears. The attitudes of today are
very typical of the CBer, hell with the FCC and getting a license, I'll do
what want. (And cause
destruction on the ham bands) [I even know of some people in ham radio, that
got their ticket without taking a test, I got into trouble for reporting
them] So I don't really care what the reader thinks, I wrote it the way it
is.

Willis