[IRCA] EXCELLENT Asian Morning: Sept 9th

[IRCA] EXCELLENT Asian Morning: Sept 9th

For the first time this season, I was hip deep in Japanese, Koreans
AND Chinese and with many more than usual at quite listenable levels
for at least part of the morning. The only channels below 1400 that
did not have an Asian signal on it were 549, 648, 981 and 1395. (that
is excepting the 10 kHz. splits, of course.)The best audio was from
HLAZ, 1566, which was simply awesome.... and a number of other
Koreans were noticeably stronger than usual.  At several points,
Chinese seemed to be the dominant language on the 9 kHz. splits,
though.  For me, I was pleased to get a reportable level recording on
what I think was CNR1 on 1251 kHz. around 1300.  I've heard them
before at Grayland, I believe, but never at a reportable
level.  Unfortunately, the DX gods were present and there was a deep
fade right at 1300 so I missed any ID and Pips, though I have plenty
of details before and after. I'm going to send a recording and a
tentative report.

A number of off-channel signals were noted: 702 hi; 747 & 747.06;
855, 855.05 and 855.12 (1st time); 1017 and 1017 hi; 1026 and 1026
low;1107 and 1107 low; 1206 low as usual; 1584 and 1584.08; and 1701
hi, Brisvaani in late in audio.

The other weird one is a signal that I've noticed 4 or 5 times on
1215 when China was in... its a signal that, on the scope, looks like
a three-humped capital M, with the center hump just a bit higher that
the two sides, which are equal in height. The outer peaks are at
about 1214.94 and 1215.06. Strangest thing that I ever seen, so far,
on the scope.... and these outer carrier peaks undulate exactly with
the center peak... pretty-well establishing that they aren't normal
modulation but that they do come from the same transmitter.  I think
I finally figured out what I'm seeing............  The way to produce
steady twin side peaks on an AM signal is to transmit a steady
tone.... the other triple peaks that I see rather regularly are from
WWV, when the BEEP happens... then I tumbled to the fact that the
offset of the side peaks is either 50 or 60 cycles. I've never really
measured them... just a visual guess.  YES.... They have a HUGE AC
HUM on their signal!!!  Japanese DXers ought to hear this with some
regularity.... wish that we had contact with them!

What makes this my best morning of the season so far is the number of
stations in quite listenable audio and the fact that about 8 or vso
channels had co-channel interference. That is relatively rare out here.

Boy oh boy, is this fun or WHAT!!!

John B.